Ghost Protocol: A VC Love Stor


 

I have been ghosted by more venture capitalists than I care to count. At this point, ‘we’ll circle back’ has an infinite vesting schedule

Over 10 years of building my startup, I estimate that roughly 70% of all meaningful investor interactions ended in radio silence. Not a no. Not a maybe. Just… nothing. Radio silence, distilled down to its purest, uncut form. I’m not talking about the cold outbound email that goes unanswered. I’m talking about investors who requested a meeting, sat through a pitch, asked for data, received it, and then vanished from the face of the earth like they entered witness protection.

Let me be clear. I don’t need or expect every VC to say yes. I’ve heard no plenty of times, and I respect it. A clear no is a gift. It lets me move on, refine the pitch, and spend my time on investors who are actually interested. What I cannot respect is cowardice dressed up as being busy.

Meetings were had, partners and associates were introduced, follow-up documents were requested at speed. Then one morning, the WhatsApp messages go from double blue ticks to single grey ticks. The emails sit in a void. The associate who couldn’t stop messaging you last Tuesday has apparently moved to a remote village without 5G.

Let’s talk about how the ghost actually works in practice. Most VCs don’t ghost you directly. They deploy the associate. The associate is a wonderful, unjaded human being who is genuinely enthusiastic about your company. They will have three calls with you. They will build a model. They will tell you the partners are excited. Then the associate goes quiet. You follow up. The associate says they’re “still reviewing internally.” You follow up again two weeks later. Nothing. The associate has now become the messenger who was never given a message.

Here’s what actually happened: a partner decided to pass, told the associate in a five-second hallway conversation or text message, and nobody thought it was necessary to inform the founder who spent invaluable time preparing materials. The associate feels awkward. The partner has moved on to the next shiny object. Now its just you, a dead inbox, and a week of less runway.

VCs seem to think that ghosting is a victimless act. It’s not. Every investor interaction occupies mental real estate in a founder’s brain. When you go silent, that interaction doesn’t close. It sits there, burning cycles. Should I follow up again? Did I say something wrong? Is the associate on holiday? Should I get the mutual contact to check in? Is that desperate? Every unanswered email is a tiny tax on a founder who already has four hundred things competing for their attention.


Multiply this by ten or fifteen active investor conversations, which is normal during a raise, and you start to understand how much cognitive damage ghosting inflicts. A founder raising capital is already not sleeping. Your silence doesn’t help.

I already know what VCs will say. “We see thousands of deals. We can’t respond to everyone.” Sure. I’ll give you that for inbound cold emails. But if you took the meeting, you owe a response. Full stop. I am not asking for a detailed investment memo explaining why you passed. I am asking for one sentence. “We’ve decided not to proceed at this time.” That’s eleven words. It takes less time than ordering your coffee.

If you have time to sit on panels at conferences talking about how you’re “founder-friendly,” you have time to send a two-line email. The bar here is so extraordinarily low that the fact it isn’t being cleared tells you everything about how the relationship is valued.

Here’s the thing VCs consistently underestimate: founders talk. We all know each other. We compare notes. When a VC ghosts one founder, the story gets told at every founder dinner, every WhatsApp group, every casual catch-up for years. I can still name every single VC who ghosted me, and I can promise you they have come up in conversation when other founders have asked me about them. Your reputation is not built on your best behavior with the companies you fund. It’s built on your worst behavior with the companies you don’t. Remember, you don’t fund 99% of them.

The startup ecosystem in Asia is smaller and tighter than people think. The founder you ghosted in 2019 is now a successful CEO who gets asked for VC references weekly. Think about that the next time you decide that sending a one-line pass is too much effort.

I’m going to make this painfully simple. If you’ve taken a meeting with a founder, you have three options:

Yes, we’d like to proceed. No, we’re going to pass. We need more time — here’s what we’re waiting on.

That’s it. Pick one. Send it. Move on with your life, and let the founder move on with theirs. It’s not surgery. It’s manners.

The best VCs I’ve worked with over the years all share one trait: they close the loop. They may say no, and they may say it quickly, but they always say something. It is the single easiest way to differentiate yourself in an industry with a remarkably low bar for professional courtesy.

So to every VC reading this who has a founder sitting in their inbox right now, unanswered — go send that email. It’ll take you thirty seconds. And the founder on the other end will remember it for a lot longer than that.

By Mikaal Abdulla

Popular posts from this blog

Starting Up in Japan vs China

There is No Glamour in an Asia Startup